What We Do

Marie Poirier Planning and Associates provides professional services and advice on developing your property. We are an incorporated professional firm with over 30 years of experience as both a public and private sector consultant.

Planning Services

We prepare all types and levels of development applications including:

  • Township Planning and Building
  • Ministry of Natural Resources
  • Ministry of Environment
  • Department of Fisheries and Oceans
  • Municipal and Crown land licenses and purchases
  • Provide advice and options for project design
  • Prepare feasibility and justification reports
  • Planning Services
  • Zoning By-law Amendments
  • Development Permits
  • License of Occupation
  • Original Shore Road Allowance
  • OSRA Purchase Applications
  • Road Allowance Purchase Application
  • Severances & Minor Variance
  • Official Plan Amendment
  • Site Plans, Analysis & Designs
  • Expert Witness/Evidence Preparation
  • Project Coordination
  • Subdivision & Condominium Planning
  • Community Planning Permit

Zoning By-law Amendments

Do you need to change the uses of your property or a structure from that permitted by the zoning by-law?

Do you need to change or obtain an exception from some provisions of the zoning by-law for your property such as decrease the setback or increase your lot coverage?

We can assess the required amendment, provide advice and recommendations for the amendment process and act as your agent from preparing the application to attending at the required public meetings and coordinating the completion of any conditions that may be imposed by the Township.

Development Permits (Lake of Bays)

Lake of Bays has a Development Permit By-law which combines the zoning and site plan processes and is required for any development within the waterfront of lakes in the Township that are subject to the Development Permit By-law.


  • Do you want to divide your property?
  • Do you want to add to your property?
  • Do you want to create lots for family members, estate planning or separate existing dwellings on a property?

We can provide advice on the best approach, prepare all necessary applications, and coordinate the preparation of all documents and plans to complete the process.

Subdivision & Condominium Planning

We can make the necessary applications for approvals of Plans of Subdivision and condominium and coordinate the various reports that are required to accompany the applications.

Project Coordination & Management

On larger projects, we can co-ordinate the development team of professionals. We can organize financial, time and service resources, coordinate meetings and follow through to ensure that tasks are being completed in a timely and satisfactory manner.

Land use planning and development and land division are processes with environmental, social, economic and aesthetic aspects. Often the processes require services of other professionals such as surveyors, engineers, architects, lawyers, contractors and biologists just to name a few. As planners we fill the role of project coordinator and we at Marie Poirier Planning have access to a team of professionals with demonstrated success working together to take your project to the “shovel ready” stage.

Official Plan Amendment

We can assess whether your plans for development conform to the Township’s Official Plan or if an official plan amendment is required for your project. We can make any necessary applications to amend the Plan and coordinate any required study.

License of Occupation

Do you need to build or rebuild a dock, boathouse, or other shoreline structure?

If you don’t own the first 66 feet of shoreline in front of your property and have to rebuild a dock or boathouse you will have to obtain a License of Occupation from the Township. On several lakes in Muskoka the township owns the first 66 feet back unless in the past it was purchased from them and added to your property.

Sometimes during this process, encroachments on to your neighbour’s property or encroachments on to your property are identified. These matters have to be resolved through line diversions, easements or sometimes outright acquisition.

We have a great deal of experience in these applications and can take you from start to finish without you ever having to step foot into the Township office.

Minor Variance

Sometimes the change of use or exception from the zoning by-law that you require is “minor”. We assess the situation, provide you with advice and make an application for a minor variance rather than proceed by the more expensive and rigorous process of a full zoning by-law amendment.

Site Plans

Site plans are detailed sketches that accompany agreements registered on title. They are required for commercial developments and often for residential properties as a means of maintaining the natural character and environmental integrity of a property. We can coordinate preparation of the sketches, make the application and act as agent on your behalf to complete the process.

Site Analysis/Development Feasibility

  • Do you need to know what you can do with your property?
  • Are you thinking about buying a Muskoka property?

What are the policy and physical factors affecting the use and development of my property? We can prepare an analysis for you so that you can make your development plans knowing the costs and processes that will be involved.

Expert Witness/Evidence Preparation

Going to Ontario Land Tribunal? We have been qualified by the Board on numerous occasions as an ”expert” in the field of land use planning. We work with your solicitor to develop your planning case and to provide the evidence required for the Board to clearly understand your appeal and the planning matters of your case.

Community Planning Permit

Huntsville has a Community Planning Permit By-law system which implements the policies of the Town’s Official Plan, and addresses precinct amendments, minor variances and site plan agreements under one application. The By-law is general in nature and applies to all lands within the Town of Huntsville.

Marie Poirier

Commercial Planning & Redevelopment

Looking to Expand, Renovate or Develop a Commercial Property?

We can help you with:

  • Zoning amendment applications
  • Site plan agreements
  • Site plan sketches
  • Development agreements
  • Ministry of Transportation Land Use Permits, Sign Permits and Site Plans
  • Storm water management plan coordination

We have extensive experience in commercial zoning requirements and site plan agreement preparation. There are numerous regulations affecting commercial development along Muskoka’s highway corridors and we can help. Commercial properties because of site plan control have development approval requirements for such things as fire suppression, lighting and waste disposal. Call us today to discuss any planning needs for your next commercial project.